Parish of Old Luce


A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2022.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Luce-Old
1834-45: Luce-Old

Luce, Old, a coast parish of Wigtownshire, containing the post-office village of Glenluce, with a station on the Portpatrick branch of the Caledonian, 8¾ miles E by S of Stranraer and 14¾ WSW of Newton-Stewart. It is bounded N by New Luce, NE and E by Kirkcowan, SE by Mochrum, S by LuceBay, SW by Stoneykirk, and W by Inch. Its greatest length, from E to W, is 10 miles; its breadth, from N to S, varies between 2 5/8 and 7½ miles; and its area is 33,798 ¼ acres, of which 1995½ are foreshore and 206¾ water. Drumpail Burn runs 2 1/8 miles north-eastward along the eastern part of the northern boundary to Tarf Water, which itself winds 6 ¼ miles south-eastward along all the north-eastern boundary. The Water of Luce first runs 7 furlongs on the boundary with New Luce, and then goes 33/8 miles south-south-eastward across the interior to the head of Luce Bay; and Piltanton Burn runs 4 ¼ miles eastward along the Inch border and through the south-western interior. White Loch (42/3 x 1¾ furl.) and Dernaglar Loch (3½ x 2½ furl.) are the largest of five small featureless lakes in the eastern half of the parish, since Castle Loch (1 ¼ x ½ mile) falls just within the Mochrum boundary. Springs are numerous-perennial, limpid, and extremely cold. The coast, 11½ miles in extent, is mostly fringed by a sandy beach, ½ mile in mean breadth; but at Synniness (Scand. ` Sueuo's headland ') it rises steeply to 231 feet above the sea. Some level lands lie adjacent to that beach and to Luce Water, and the rest of the surface is all tumulated, irregular, or hilly, its chief elevations being Challoch Hill (484 feet), Barlockhart Fell (411), Knock Fell (513), and Craig Fell (538). Greywacke, the predominant rock, has been quarried; and the soil of the seaboard is sand, gravel, or clay, of other low tracts is clay, loan, or moss, and on the higher grounds is mostly light, dry, and stony. Nearly three-fourths of the entire area are in tillage; rather more than 300 acres are under wood; and the rest is either pastoral or waste. Autiquities, other than those noticed under Glenluce, Carsecreugh, Park Place, and Synniess, are remains of cairns and of a crannoge in Barlockhart Loch, and the sites of two pre-Reformation chapels, Our Lady's and Kirk Christ. Mansions, each with a separate article, are Balkail, Craigenveoch, Dunragit, and Genoch; and 4 proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 2 of between £100 and £500, and 12 of from £20 to £50. Old Luce is in the presbytery of Stranraer and the synod of Galloway; the living is worth £213. Three churches are at Glenluce; and three public schools-Drochduil, Glenluce Academy, and Glen of Luce-with respective accommodation for 120, 280, and 100 children, had (1882) an average attendance of 56, 153, and 50, and grants of £49, £148, 0s. 6d., and £60, 5s. Valuation (1860) £12, 934, (1884) £18, 933, 8s. 6d. Pop. (1801) 1221, (1831) 2180, (1861) 2800, (1871) 2449, (1881) 2447.—Ord. Sur., shs. 4, 3, 1857-56.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better