A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2022.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Kilspindie, a village and a parish in Gowrie district, SE Perthshire. The village, standing in the mouth of a small glen, 1 mile SSW of Rait, 21/8 miles NNW of Errol station, and 33/8 NNE of Glencarse station, had anciently a castle, now extinct, and figures in Blind Harry's narrative as the place where Sir William Wallace, with his mother, found refuge in his boyhood.

The parish, containing also the post offices of Rait and Pitrody under Errol, comprehends the ancient parishes of Kilspindie and Rait. It is bounded NE by Caputh (detached) and Kinnaird, SE by Errol, S by Kinfauns and Kinnoull (detached), and W by Scone, St Martins, and another detached section of Kinnoull. Its utmost length and breadth, south-eastward and south-westward, is 3½ miles; and its area is 6258¼ acres, of which 3¾ are water. A strip along the SE border forms part of the Carse of Gowrie, and sinks to 40 feet above sea-level; thence the surface rises north-westward to the Sidlaws, attaining 944 feet on Evelick or Pole Hill and 849 on Beal Hill; and thence again it declines towards Strathmore-to 380 feet at the NW border. The parish thus presents a diversified aspect, ranging from luxuriant corn-field to barren moor; by Rait, Kilspindie, and Pitrody Burns its drainage is mostly carried eastward to the Firth of Tay. Trap and coarse greyish sandstone are the predominant rocks. The trap has been quarried in Pitrody Den; and beautiful pieces of agate are often found among the hills. The soil on the flat south-eastern border is a fertile mixture of clay and humus; on the slopes of the southern hills, and in the hollows and little glens, is of various quality, but generally good; and on the northern hills, is wet and heathy. About seven-thirteenths of the entire area are in tillage, one-thirtieth is under wood, and the rest of the land is either pastoral or waste. Fingask Castle and Annat are the only mansions; and 4 proprietors hold each an annual value of more, 2 of less, than £500. Kilspindie is in the presbytery of Perth and synod of Perth and Stirling; the living is worth £307. The church, at Kilspindie village, is a plain edifice, recently repaired, and containing 350 sittings; and a public school, with accommodation for 130 children, had (1881) an average attendance of 84, and a grant of £87, 19s. Valuation (1860) £6255, (1883) £6746, 13s. 4d. Pop. (1801) 762, (1831) 760, (1861) 665, (1871) 679, (1881) 693.—Ord. Sur., sh. 48, 1868.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better