A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2022.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Findhorn, a seaport village in Kinloss parish, NW Elginshire, at the right side of the mouth of Findhorn river, and on the point of a peninsula between Findhorn and Burghead Bays. By road it is 5 miles N of Forres and 3¼ NE of Kinloss station on the Highland railway, this station being 9¼ miles W by S of Elgin and 27¾ ENE of Inverness. A branch line from Kin loss to Findhorn, opened in 1860, has now for some years been discontinued. The original town, which stood at least 2 miles westward of the present one, was destroyed by the drifting of the Culbin Sands; the next one stood a mile N W, on ground now covered by the sea, and was swallowed in a few hours by the great inundation of 1701; and even the present town is so beset with surge-lashed sand-banks, that it, too, possibly may some day share their fate. A place of worship in it, used first as a dissenting meeting-house, and next as a chapel of ease, was built on the sand, and fell in Jan. 1843. The town, from its situation at the mouth of the Findhorn, known in Gaelic as the Erne, is commonly called by the Highlanders Invererne. lt ranks as a burgh of barony; is the centre of an extensive fishery district between Buckie and Cromarty; and carries on some commerce in the export of salmon, grain, and other goods, and in the import of coals, groceries, and manufactured wares. It has a post office under Forres, a good harbour, a Free church, a girls' public school, and a public library. The harbour is partly natural, partly artificial, with a stone pier, two quays of hewn stone, and a breastwork connecting the pier with one of the quay; and has, in the shallowest part of the channel at its entrance, 10½ feet of water in the lowest neap tide, and from l3 to 17 feet in spring tides. In 1881, the number of boats employed in the district was 470, of fishermen and boys 2063, of fish-curers 49, and of coopers 54; the value of the boats being £29,423, of the nets £41, 827, and of the lines £4909. The following is the number of barrels of herrings salted or cured in different years:-(1866) 29,572, (1870) 16, 311, (1878) 2389, (1879) 9443, (1880) 16, 255, (1881) 9753; of cod, ling, or hake taken (1866) 20, 779, (1873) 67,837, (1879) 56,191, (1880) 34, 265, (l881) 15,255. Pop. (1841) 806, (1861) 891, (1871) 701, (1881) 605.—Ord. Sur., sh. 94, 1878.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better