A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2022.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Cadder, a small village and a parish of NW Lanarkshire. The village stands on the site of a fort of Antoninus' Wall, adjacent to the Forth and Clyde Canal, ¾ mile S of the river Kelvin, 2¾ miles WSW of Kirkintilloch, 1½ mile N by E of its post-town and station, Bishopbriggs, and 5 miles N by E of Glasgow. It consists of the neat parish church (1830; 740 sittings) and a number of cottages scattered picturesquely among trees. Cadder House stands in the north-western vicinity of the village; is a mansion partly ancient, partly modern; and was the scene of a dispensation of the Lord's Supper by John Knox. The parish contains also the villages of Bishopbriggs, Moodiesburn, Garnkirk, Auchenairn, Auchenloch, Chryston, Muirhead, Mollenburn, and part of Lenzie. It is bounded N by Campsie in Stirlingshire and Kirkintilloch and Cumbernauld in Dumbartonshire, E by New Monkland, SE by Old Monkland, S by Barony of Glasgow, NW by New Kilpatrick and Baldernock in Stirlingshire. Its greatest length, from E to W, is 9 miles; its breadth, from N to S, varies between 1 and 4 miles; and its area is 14,088 acres, of which 119 ½ are water. Sections of the Forth and Clyde Canal and of the North British and Caledonian railways traverse the parish, whose surface is either quite level or gently undulated, attaining 319 feet above sea-level near Auchenairn, 349 at Hillhead, and 343 at Hill of Garnqueen in the SE, whilst sinking along the Kelvin to less than 100 feet. The Kelvin flows about 5½ miles along the northern boundary; and used here to overflow its banks, but is now confined by a great earthen mound. Two lakes, one of them called Bishop Loch (1 x ¼ mile), lie on the southern boundary; and two small lakes lie in the SE corner. An extensive lake in the centre was early in last century drained by a tunnel 1 mile long cut through a rising ground, in places at 90 feet below the surface. A large aggregate of the land is variously deep moss, spongy moor, or stiff soil incumbent on retentive substrata; so that it might be expected to act deleteriously on the climate; yet it does not appear to produce any unhealthy effect. The rocks are variously eruptive, Devonian, carboniferous, and recent; and they include excellent building stone, abundance of limestone, large store of valuable ironstone, some coal, and extensive beds of fireclay. These are all worked in various localities-the fireclay in a great establishment at Garnkirk. The soil, on the banks of the Kelvin and of two streams in the E, is partly alluvial; elsewhere, on by far the greater part of the area, is a deep, stiff clay, containing scarcely a stone, and generally tinged far down with iron. A large aggregate of moss has been reclaimed; but more than 300 acres are still in a state of deep moss, whilst nearly 9000 acres are under cultivation. All the parish, except the estate of Cadder and the Midtown of Bedlay belonged formerly to the see of Glasgow; and several places in it, such as Bishopbriggs, Bishop's Moss, and Bishop Loch bear names commemorative of this connection. The principal modern mansions are Garnkirk, Gartloch, Springfield, Bedlay, Robroyston, Gartferry, and Glandhall. Chief antiquities are vestiges of Antoninus' Wall and the site of the house at Robroyston, where Sir William Wallace was betrayed. James Boyd, first Protestant archbishop of Glasgow, Dr Wm. Leechman (1706-85), principal -of Glasgow university, and Thomas Muir, Esq., banished in 1793 for advocating the principles of reform, were connected with Cadder. Nine proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 33 of between £100 and £500,19 of from £50 to £100, and 37 of from £20 to £50. In the presbytery of Glasgow and synod of Glasgow and Ayr, this parish is ecclesiastically divided into Cadder and Chryston, the former having 3261 inhabitants in 1871, and its living amounting to £282. Under a board for the whole parish are 7 public schools, Auchenairn, Auchinloch, Bishopbridge, Cadder, Chryston, Gartcosh, and Lochfault. With total accommodation for 1267 children, these had (1879) an average attendance of 675, and grants of £602,18s. Valuation (1881) £49,508,8s. 5d. Pop. (1801) 2120, (1831) 3048, (1861) 5948, (1871) 6464, (1881) 6965.—Ord. Sur., shs. 30,31,1866-67.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better