A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2022.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Shettleston, a parish containing a small town of the same name, in the Lower Ward of Lanarkshire, immediately to the E of Glasgow. It is bounded N and NE by the parish of Cadder, E by Cadder and Old Monkland, S by Rutherglen, W by Calton and Barony, and NW by Springburn. Except on the S, where the line follows the centre of the Clyde for about 2 miles downward from the E side of the grounds of Easterhill House, the boundary is almost entirely artificial. The greatest length of the parish, from the E end of Bishop Loch west-south-westward to the western limit of the parish in the eastern suburbs of Glasgow, is 4¼ miles; the greatest width, from the S corner of the policies of Easterhill House northward, is 3¼ miles; and the area is 5174.674 acres, of which 123.710 are water. The surface is undulating, and the height above sea-level rises from 70 feet in the E to over 300 at a number of places to the N and E, the highest point, N of Barlanark House, being 337 feet. The soil is mostly a good sound loam, and the underlying rocks belong to the Coal-measures forming part of the rich mineral field of Lanarkshire. The greater part of Frankfield Loch (2 x 2 furl.) lies within the parish on the N, and the whole of Hogganfield Loch (3 x 2 furl.) on the NW. The chief mansions are Barlanark House, Cardowan House. Carntyne House, Craigend House, Easterhill House, Frankfield House, Gartcraig House, Garthamlock House, Greenfield House, Haghill House, Tollcross House, and West-thorn House. The chief prison for the county of Lanark is at Barlinnie, in the NW of the parish. Shettleston is traversed by two of the main roads between Edinburgh and Glasgow, while the road from Glasgow to Stirling by Cumbernauld and Denny passes along the north-western border. It also includes a portion of the sections of the North British railway system which pass from Glasgow to Edinburgh, viâ Bathgate, and from Glasgow to Bothwell; and a reach of the Monkland Canal. There is a station at Parkhead, and another where the two railway lines branch off at the town of Shettleston. Besides the post-town of the same name the parish contains also part of the eastern suburbs of Glasgow, the greater part of the conjoint villages of Millerston and Hogganfield, almost the whole of Tollcross, and a few small hamlets. The town of Shettleston, which includes the suburbs of East Muir and Sandyhill, has a station 3 miles E by S of Glasgow, and is a somewhat dingy and poor place, inhabited chiefly by colliers and agricultural labourers. A water supply was introduced from the Glasgow mains in 1869. There is a post office under Glasgow, a parish church, a Free church, a Roman Catholic church, and a public school, but none of them call for particular notice. Pop. of town (1861) 1947, (1871) 2418, (1881) 3608, of whom 1753 were males and 1855 females. Houses (1881) 748 inhabited, 184 uninhabited, and 10 being built. The other villages are separately noticed.

The parish, which was originally a part of Barony parish from which it was civilly disjoined in 1847, is in the presbytery of Glasgow and synod of Glasgow and Ayr, and the living is worth £588 a year. The mission church at Hogganfield is connected with the parish, and besides the churches already mentioned, there are Free churches at Millerston and Tollcross, and a U.P. church at Tollcross. Under the school board the Eastmuir, Garthamlock, Shettleston, Tollcross, and Millerston (combination) schools, with accommodation for 227, 144, 300, 300, and 301 pupils respectively, had, in 1884, attendances of 196, 44, 260, 344, and 131, and grants of £158, 7s., £34, 6s., £223, 17s., £291, 16s. 11d., and £108, 6s. In the same year the Roman Catholic schools at Cardowan and Eastmuir, with accommodation for 219 and 161 pupils respectively, had attendances of 85 and 109, and grants of £82, 14s. 6d. and £92, 12s. Pop. (1851) 6564, (1861) 6914, (1871) 7517, (1881) 9238, of whom 4502 were males and 4736 females. Houses (1881) 1819 inhabited, 284 uninhabited, and 12 being built.—Ord. Sur., sh. 31, 1867.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better