A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2022.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Hutton, a Border village and parish of SE Berwickshire. The village stands ¾ mile S of Whitadder Water, 4½ miles NNW of Velvethall station in Northumberland, and 7 W of Berwick-upon-Tweed, under which it has a post office. It is supposed to have been the camping-place of the army of Edward I. in 1296, on the day before the capture of Berwick.

The parish contains also the village of Paxton, and comprehends the ancient parishes of Hutton and Fishwick, united in 1614. It is bounded N by Chirnside and Foulden, E by Mordington and the Liberties of Berwick, SE and S by Northumberland, SW by Ladykirk, and W by Whitsome and Edrom. Its utmost length, from E to W, is 4 miles; its utmost breadth, from N to S, is 3¼ miles; and its area is 5645½ acres, of which 129¾ are water. Whitadder Water winds 7 miles along all the northern and most of the eastern boundary; and the Tweed sweeps 4 miles north-eastward along all the Northumberland border, midway being spanned by the Union Bridge, which, constructed in 1820 at a cost of £7500 after designs by Captain Sir Samuel Brown, R.N., is a suspension bridge for carriages, the first of its kind in Britain. With a carriage-way 27 feet above the surface of the stream, it measures 368 feet in length and 18 in width. The surface of the parish, for the most part looking almost a dead level, declines along the Tweed to 96 feet, and attains a summit altitude de of 244 feet at a point 5 furlongs SW of Hutton village. The ground adjacent to the Whitadder and the Tweed contrasts, in scenic character, with the prevailing tameness of the interior, and, being well wooded, is charmingly picturesque. Sandstone is a prevailing g rock, and can be found, at comparatively little depth from the surface, in almost every part, whilst a stratum of gypsum occurs on Hutton Hall estate. The soil on the lands along the rivers is mostly a rich deep loam, incumbent upon sandstone; but on part of the central lands is thin, wet, and cold, overlying a strong tenacious clay. Some 65 acres are pastoral, about 260 are under wood, and all the rest of the land is regularly in tillage. Andrew Foreman, Archbishop of St Andrews from 1514 to 1522, was a native of Hutton; the Rev. Philip Ridpath, editor of the Border History (1776), was minister of it; and George Home of Wedderburn, one of the Edinburgh literati towards the close of last century, was long a resident. Hutton Hall, on the right bank of Whitadder Water, 1½ mile NW of Hutton village, crowns the brink of an eminence, and comprises a very ancient peel-tower, with a long mansion attached, of patch-work structure and various dates. Its oldest part, a remarkable specimen of a Border stronghold, was the seat of one of the ' Seven Spears of Wedderburn ' mentioned by Sir Walter Scott in his Lay of the Last Minstrel. The estate of Hutton Hall (630 acres, valued at £1588 per annum) was purchased in 1876 for £50,000 by Sir Dudley Coutts Marjoribanks of Guisachan, who in 1881 was raised to the peerage as Baron Tweedmouth. Mansions, noticed separately, are Meadow House, Paxton House, Spital House, and Tweedhill House; and 7 proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 1 of between £100 and £500, 3 of from £50 to £100, and 5 of from £20 to £50. Hutton is in the presbytery of Chirnside and synod of Merse and Teviotdale; the living is worth £355. The parish church is a modern Norman structure of 1765, with a massive square tower and 700 sittings. Hutton public, Paxton girls' and infants', and Paxton schools, with respective accommodation for 80, 48, and 95 children, had (1881) an average attendance of 59, 28, and 48, and grants of £52, 14s. 6d., £22, 10s., and £43, 13s. Valuation (1865) £10,627, (1882) £12,630, 13s. Pop. (1801) 955, (1821) 1118, (1861) 1067, (1871) 1077, (1881) 962.—Ord. Sur., shs. 26, 34, 1864.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better